Little Things Make the Difference

A blog about an ALS patient and her experience from the onset of the disease to her everyday life in an ICU.

Thursday, March 08, 2007

The Hospital

We think that hospitals, in general, are only prepared to deal with the sick. What happens when this body becomes dependent indeterminately on a machine, a machine which inadvertently guarantees the survival of this being?

Miraculously, or not, I notice that the Intensive Care Unit of the Hospital of Curry Cabral has an enormous number of staff members (doctors, nurses, and nurses aids) capable, above all, to deal with patients like Josélia. There, my sister throughout these 5 years, has had specialized healthcare, rest, protection but above all, much attention and care. I don’t refer only to the high-end technology but, essentially of great technology – knowing how to listen and to love.

I can’t stop but thank all for the constant support and the shared experience.

1 Comments:

  • At March 12, 2007 9:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Maria and Joselia:

    Thanks to you both for giving a voice to this stage of this terrible disease. I have found it difficult to find people who are willing (or have the support) to be able to do this. I believe that your testimony to this disease will do the most for awareness and, ultimately, I hope, for better outcomes for research and therefore for hope for the patients, their families and their friends who struggle every day with this disease. I do not speak Portuguese and therefore appreciate your posts in English so an especial thank you for that ... the disease has no borders or boundaries, and we can all learn from each other.

    My thoughts are with you both, and please continue posting as long as you both can and wish to.

    May you both be enriched as much by expressing this as are those of us who are reading it are.

    All my best to you both.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home